Conroe, TX – A fast-moving storm moved through the city of Conroe, Texas on Tuesday afternoon, causing the collapse of an under-construction home in the Ladera Creek subdivision that claimed the lives of two people and left seven others with severe injuries. All of the people killed and injured in the collapse were construction workers, said Conroe Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Legoudes. Those injured are expected to survive.
We extend our deepest sympathies to the affected families and wish the surviving victims a quick recovery. This tragic event serves as a solemn reminder of the inherent risks faced by construction workers and the crucial need for stringent safety measures. As the details of this harrowing incident unfold, we reflect on the broader implications for construction site safety in Conroe and beyond.
What to Know About Ladera Creek and Lennar Homes
- Ladera Creek is a masterplan community in Conroe, Texas, about 40 miles north of Houston. Homes in this subdivision are priced between $290,000 and $380,000. The residential development is owned by Lennar Homes.
- Lennar Homes is the second largest home construction corporation in the United States, building more than 1 million new homes across America since 1954. The company is also invested in multi-family and single-family residential rental properties and property technology companies.
Timeline of Events
- 3:09 p.m. – The National Weather Service in League City issued a severe thunderstorm warning for parts of Montgomery and Walker counties.
- 3:23 p.m. – Areas south of there, including Conroe, were placed under a tornado warning.
- 3:57 p.m. – Emergency responders were called to the collapse at a Ladera Creek home construction site.
- Nine workers were found in the construction collapse debris. Three were taken to HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe and four were taken to Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center.
- 5:45 p.m – The National Weather Service in League City said it had no confirmed reports of a tornado and believe the damage was caused by strong winds.
Response to Conroe Construction Collapse
The National Weather Service posted a tornado warning Tuesday afternoon for areas north of Houston. https://t.co/Tn9EJyHmf3— Houston Chronicle (@HoustonChron) May 23, 2023
Live interview with the Conroe Assistant Fire Chief after two people died and 7 others injured after a house under construction collapsed during the storm pic.twitter.com/bd72Ks0SRH— Brooke Taylor (@ABC13Brooke) May 24, 2023
2 workers killed, multiple people injured when home under construction collapsed during storm in Conroe https://t.co/aj9LnzQveB— ABC13 Houston (@abc13houston) May 23, 2023
Our Houston Construction Accident Lawyers Can Help
Our team of experienced construction accident lawyers stands ready to provide compassionate and professional assistance to victims and their families. With a deep understanding of the legal complexities surrounding construction accidents, our experienced attorneys are committed to seeking justice and fair compensation for those affected by this tragic event.
Texas leads the nation in highest construction accident fatality rates. We recognize the physical, emotional, and financial toll that construction accidents can impose on individuals and their loved ones. Through our expertise in construction accident cases and our unwavering advocacy, we strive to help victims assert their rights and navigate the legal process with confidence, as we work tirelessly to hold responsible parties accountable.