When mistakes are made behind the wheel, they can have serious and often deadly consequences. This is one reason automobile manufacturers have been trying to minimize human error in a vehicle with everything from screens that assist in backing up to driverless cars. Recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) supports the need for such technology, reporting that in 2016, approximately 94% of car accidents were caused by driver error.
Reading these statistics are sobering enough, but becoming one of the statistics is a life-altering experience. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident because of another driver’s error, you understand the magnitude of these mistakes. If you are trying to piece your life back together a serious injury, contact an experienced Houston driver error car accident attorney who can fight your legal battles while you focus on recovery. The legal team at Williams Hart & Boundas is ready to help you get the compensation you are owed for your injury claim.
DRIVER ERROR ACCIDENTS WE HANDLE
The most common cause of car accidents is human error. According to the NHTSA, about 94% of automobile accidents in 2016 were caused by human error. Some examples of vehicle driver errors include the following:
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving while under the influence of alcohol or any other mind-altering drug is illegal because of how much it impairs a driver’s ability to judge and react in a timely, safe manner.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit or driving at speeds that are inappropriate for the weather conditions is reckless and puts other drivers at risk.
- Changing Lanes: Failing to use turn signals or forgetting to look in their blind spot is a common error that drivers make. When this happens on at high speeds, lane change mistakes can lead to serious crashes that can often involve multiple cars.
- Drowsy Driving: Driving while fatigued diminishes reaction time and creates a risk of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Tailing: When drivers follow too closely behind the car in front of them, they cut down on the time they can react to sudden braking or other changes in traffic.
- Cell Phone Use: The most serious and growing cause of driver error is the use of cell phones. Statistics have proven how dangerous texting while driving or other cell phone use is, and studies such as one done by the National Safety Council (NSC) entitled “The Great Multitasking Lie” have been trying to educate people about the myth of multitasking. Most people like to think they can drive and do other things at the same time without adverse consequences, but the brain cannot multitask. The brain must switch from one focus to another, and though the switches can occur quickly, the time it takes to switch uses valuable seconds that make a huge difference when driving.
- Distracted Driving: Cell phones are not the only form of distraction for drivers. Other dangerous distractions that can lead to accidents include eating, putting on makeup, trying to help crying babies, fiddling with the radio, and personal grooming of any sort. Many everyday tasks can take a driver’s attention away from the road and can put others around them at risk.
Do I Need an Attorney?
Trying to recover from a serious car accident is difficult enough without dealing with complicated legal matters. You should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior alone. Seeking legal representation to help you fight for your rights is the single most important step you can take to make sure another driver’s error doesn’t derail your life. Allow an experienced car accident attorney to help you take control of your future. Standing up to insurance companies and holding liable parties accountable is difficult on your own.
With a car accident lawyer on your side, you can rest assured that you are not alone, and you can expect to receive about three times as much compensation than you would get without legal representation. Insurance companies have tough attorneys looking out for their interests. You need someone equally tough to look out for yours.
Why Choose Williams Hart & Boundas?
The experienced trial lawyers at Williams Hart & Boundas know how to win cases. Our track record of billions recovered for our clients attests to how aggressively we fight in each case we handle. When you have become a victim of someone’s negligence, you need a personal injury lawyer who can walk you through the complexities of seeking compensation. Our legal team offers compassionate, professional experience to every client we serve. Our Houston car accident attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, which means that we won’t charge you anything unless we win your case.
Driving these days is riskier than ever. If you or a loved one has become a victim of someone else’s careless or reckless driving, you shouldn’t have to suffer alone. Enlist the help of experienced, aggressive attorneys who know how to help you receive the compensation you deserve. The Houston car accident attorneys at Williams Hart & Boundas are ready to help you rebuild your life. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.