Personal injuries are painful and traumatic. If you are looking to hire a personal injury lawyers, it is likely you have recently had a difficult experience. The last thing you need is someone making things worse for you. Don’t make the mistake of hiring a bad personal injury lawyer to represent you in your matter, follow these tips instead:
Tips on Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Before you hire a personal injury lawyer, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Direct experience. Make sure the lawyer has the skills a knowledge of your jurisdiction’s legal system. This means they have had experience negotiating settlements and representing clients in court. They should know injury law and have done extensive research on cases similar to yours.
- Reasonable fees. Ask about your potential compensation for your injury and what the attorney’s percentage is. You don’t want an attorney who promises more than they can produce, or an attorney who is going to take a large portion of your reward leaving you with very little.
- A winning record. Ask about the record and reputation of the attorney and their firm. Ask for the attorney to provide references so you can get a feel for how they work and what their strategy is when dealing with clients and the adverse parties. This is also a way to understand how they conduct themselves in court and what their skills are during a trial.
Don’t forget, you have the power to decide which the attorney to hire. Be sure to pick the professional who will help you win your case and avoid the common pitfalls that lead people to hire bad personal injury lawyers.
How to Avoid Hiring a Bad Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury claim can help make you whole after an extremely difficult experience. Here are some tips that will help you avoid hiring a bad personal injury lawyer:
- Good communication. You will want to have an attorney who is attentive and responsive. If they do not respond to your initial contact, then do not pursue that attorney or firm. All your calls and inquiries should be answered in a timely fashion. A bad attorney will not give you regular updates on the status of your case or be transparent with their billing policies.
- Ready to provide answers. A good attorney will provide a free consolation and propose strategies specific to your situation. If a lawyer is not able to answer all of your questions quickly and completely, they are probably not the right person for your case.
- Don’t be misled by guaranteed settlements. A bad personal attorney will guarantee you a win and be settlement focused. This is a red flag because that will mean they will work to settle as quickly as possible rather than work to get you the full and complete justice you actually deserve. This also allows the attorney to close the case faster and receive a percentage of your monetary award sooner, giving them the ability to move on to the next case on their docket.
- Professionalism is key. You want an attorney who is on time and orderly. If you see any office chaos or if they are late, they are likely very busy and distracted. This means less time and energy for you and your case.
Although it takes a lot of knowledge and skill to become at attorney, not all attorneys are the same. If you are need of a personal injury attorney, you will want to hire one that cares about you and about winning your case so you can get full compensation for your injury. There are certain traits and skills to look for in hiring a good personal injury attorney and tips to help you avoid choosing a bad personal injury lawyer.
?The attorneys at Williams Hart & Boundas are some of the most skilled and qualified negligence and personal injury attorneys in Houston. Call us today for a free consultation, we’re available to answer all of the questions you have on your personal injury case.