If you’ve been involved in a car accident, it’s important that you don’t panic. Staying calm may be challenging if you or a loved one has sustained a serious injury, but the more thoroughly you think through the following steps the better your chances are of reaching a best case scenario.
- Move to a safe location if possible, especially if you are in immediate danger.
- Call 911 yourself or have someone else call as soon as possible.
- Do not refuse medical treatment, even if you are not sure whether you have any injuries. Seeing a doctor immediately is important to determine the nature and extent of your injuries. Choosing not to receive treatment could negatively impact the outcome of your case as accurate medical records are imperative to determining adequate compensation.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident and any witnesses to your accident. Not communicating with all parties involved could cause a serious delay in your case.
- Take photos of the vehicles, injury, and the scene, or have someone do it for you. The more documentation you provide, the better.
- Contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible, preferably before you talk to an insurance company.
- Report the accident to your insurance company immediately. Be polite, but beware that anything you say to the adjuster can ultimately be used against you. Bear in mind that a full investigation will determine what factor or factors contributed to the incident.
The better prepared you are for your car accident injury claim, the more likely you are to receive maximum compensation as quickly as possible. Before meeting with your car accident injury attorney, it’s important to gather all information applicable to your claim in order for him or her to fully investigate your case.
Click here to view and print a checklist that will help you prepare for your car accident injury claim.